Saturday, June 16, 2018

What's here + What's gone = Confused

It was June 2012 this last happened. I can remember it hitting me then the same way it hits me this weekend: so much fullness and so much goneness that the only way for them both to exist is to be confused.

People always ask if her birthday brings me sadness. That's an easy one to answer: Nope, it's my mom's death anniversary that gets me. It's the same for my dad - his death anniversary is when I mourn - but usually Father's Day gives me a run for my money, too, especially when it falls the day after Mom's death anniversary.

And that's the way it feels now. Mom died eleven years ago today; tomorrow is the seventh Father's Dad I'll experience without one by my side.

Like six years ago when they were back-to-back, What. A. Weekend.

But it almost seems that there would be sad beauty to the synchronicity, IF I were able to lock myself in my room for the entirety of the weekend and cry or drink from a vodka bottle or take long baths or watch sad movies where loved ones die before their time or journal or all. of. these. things. at. once. Now THAT would be depressingly delectable.

But, no, I can't do that.

I don't want to do that.

Well, maybe I do a little bit, but mostly I can't.

Cuz I have this powerhouse husband who is also a fully kick ass dad to our children. And tomorrow, Father's Dad, is about him, too. There's so much fullness in observing our four darlings spill coffee all over the counter and up the steps in an effort to serve him in bed, in their handmade cards and juicy kisses, in his smiles and misty eyes at the lives he gets to mold and mush around as best he can. I observe all of this with such gratitude and I can hardly believe that I'm missing the other half of Father's Day. I smile. I cry. I smile. I cry.

And today: My mom's death anniversary, one I spent at the pool with my little brood - smearing sunscreen, propelling tooshes upwards that eventuate into cannonball splashes, wrapping a shivering body in a towel for a lap sit, Dairy Queen blizzards at outdoor tables on the way home. Living. Motherhood. Like. A. Boss. And experiencing all the love and irritability and sentiment and short-fusedness and moment-relishing and doubt and warmth that come with living like a mom who cares her ass off. I observe all of this with such gratitude and I can hardly believe that I'm missing my own mother. I smile. I cry. I smile. I cry.

Surely it makes sense that holing up this weekend with my loss, fully honoring that which is gone, would be easier on my mind... I could be singularly unconfused.

But by now I've learned life is rather not-singular. In fact, it almost always overlaps and vacillates and blends and doubles up. It's never This-then-That, rarely Arrival, Departure, Next Arrival. It's almost always, "Here ya go," pouncing you with lots of both fresh and spoiled groceries with no bag and little time to sort the two out so that you are doing a little crazed juggling dance to keep it all in your arms.

I've decided to experience the spoil and the bounty simultaneously.

Which is why today I played at the pool and tomorrow I will spoil my husband. And why today I tear up writing this piece. And why tomorrow I'll record in my Dad journal and eat a BLT, his favorite.

Confusing? Yes. Impossible? No.

I can dance with all of it.

(But a bag to hold it all would be nice.)

6 comments:

Katy said...

So beautifully and honestly written. Your mom's photo remains on my fridge so that I can say "good morning" to her each day - a friend who totally touched my heart. I still miss her like it was yesterday, so I can't imagine your pain. And yet, you carry on (as you must) and see her darling face in some aspect of each of your children - thank God for genetics!

And as for your crazy, funny dad (I didn't get a photo of him!), we all miss his wonderful personality that charmed all those who knew him. This must be a painful time to endure. Thank goodness you are able to write so passionately about the love you received from both. It is a fine tribute to your parents and to Scott. You are blessed to have him and your precious "brood" to love and keep your mind (at least in part) off the grocery bag.

I love you, Trish.

Unknown said...

Doesn’t seem possible that it’s been that long. 🌹♥️🌷✝️

Reta said...

Trish, somehow I missed this but today Katy & I were talking & she asked me if I had read what u had written & I said no so she forwarded it to me. So well written Trish! I'm one of the ones who still miss your Mom & Dad so much plus my dear Norm. So many good memories I do have! We had so many good times together! It seems so many times that life is just not fair. Why is it u & Justin had to give up your parents at such an early age??? They would have had such a good time with their grandchildren! Hugs & love to u.

The Arthurs said...

Thanks for your sweet words,Katy! Love that fridge photo. I know just the one!!

The Arthurs said...

Nuts, I know...

The Arthurs said...

Hi Reta! I know I know... I take every chance to talk with the kids about Papa John and Grandjan. :) they live on in them!!! :) I miss Norm and his bear hugs too.