Saturday, May 4, 2019

#4in30by40

Some of you know my husband.

If you don't, I need to tell you something: He is of the goal-driven, results-oriented type.

To illustrate this, I will tell you that his response when I ask how he's recovering from, let's say a nasty cold, is almost predictably numerical... "I'm at 85%." "or I'm nearly there, maybe about 92%."

(By comparison, I usually answer "fine" or "not fine" or "really not fine.")

Scott has always been a guy who describes everything from how far off-set it is from 100%.

He likes numbers, he likes quantifiable marks, he likes knowing what he is working towards and then knowing what it means to have achieved it (then, he achieves the HELL out of it).

I like sipping tea and giggling at the squirrels in our backyard.

It's clear we're a mismatch made in heaven.

But before I go and make it sound like I'm averse to his style, let me be the first to tell you how much I appreciate it.

*I wouldn't have run a marathon without Scott (he wrote out my training guide)
*I wouldn't have ever finished unpacking from any move without Scott (he set goals for completion)
*I would never be able to retire if Scott wasn't my husband (his eye on our net egg is sharp and unwavering). Mine. Is. Not.

So, here I am EXACTLY TWO MONTHS AWAY FROM MY FORTIETH BIRTHDAY... and Scott shows up, like he often does, to be my amp-it-up cheerleader.

I was recently telling him that my treadmill work-outs are good, but that I am having a hard time pacing where I want to pace, i.e below the 8 minute mile mark.

BEFORE I KNEW IT, he had invented a hashtag.

A HASHTAG, people!!! To motivate me toward a golly-dang goal. (Remember, goals are not super-attractive to me... after all, I am quite easily pleased by squirrels)

#4in30by40 is what it is.

On July 3, 2019 by 7:11am, my exact 40th birthday, I will run 4 miles in 30 minutes (says Scott).

I dig it.

I really dig it.

I dig it enough to let those around me and the World Wide Web know about it.

#4in30by40 means 7:30 pace for 4 miles.

Remember.I've.been.struggling.to.hit.8.minute.pace.

So, it's a stretch. Doable, but exactly what Scott finds entertaining and worth it: a jolly good challenge.

I'm pretty stoked, myself. Challenge... goal... #4in30... HERE I COME.



Me, after today's run with Scott. 

I doubled over after we were done, not knowing when I opened my mouth if I was going to 

spit 
or 
hurl. 


Lucky for me: I spit.












No comments: