Sunday, February 15, 2009

My two Valentines, and one on the way...







Yesterday I cooked my men heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast. They felt loved, I think.

Then, I felt loved when Scotty prepared dinner for me. To fully understand the magnitude of this act of service, you must be informed that peanut butter and jelly and grilled cheese were highlighted FEATURES on his bachelor menu. Those were and still are culinary masterpieces for Mr. Arthur. Needless to say, I'm the cook in the house (but don't get me wrong, there's nothing better than a pb and j scott-style... he makes a mean one and i appreciate him for it!)

What I'm trying to tell you is that when he asked what I wanted for his special Valentine's Dinner and the thought "chicken cordon bleu" crossed my mind and rolled out onto my tongue (from where? i have no idea... totally random... i don't think i've had in years and i don't think i've EVER made it myself!), I became instantly scared. Scared for my kitchen. Scared for my belly. Scared for my future child in there. Would Scott really be able to pull it off? So I began back-pedaling... "No, no... I'd be fine with spaghetti, Scott. Really, don't worry about chicken cordon bleu. I don't know what I was thinking. It just popped in my head. Let's go simpler." To which he replied, "You're getting cordon bleu. Leave it to the chef." So I stayed out of it. I stayed out of it when he googled "chicken cordon bleu." I stayed out of it when he wrote his grocery list. And I stayed out of it when he entered his zone for the cooking itself.
Let me tell you, the man can COOK! It was DELICIOUS! He followed the internet recipe down to pounding the chicken to 1/2 inch thickness - and he knew WHERE and HOW TO USE a meat tenderizer (maybe thanks to google... not sure!). My valentine, he's so sweet! He even finished the meal by saying, "Won't it be a neat tradition to have your boys, Jackson, me, and Sesame cook for you every Valentine's night?" I can't think of one thing I'd like more.
I wonder if he's now regretting revealing that what Scott Gibson Arthur puts his mind to, he can accomplish. Cooking isn't a weakness after all! I'll have him in there more often, maybe!



,

3 comments:

Beth Akins said...

okay i"m behind on our posts but in catching up on a few, yew, I can hear your mother in those quotes quite clearly! I miss her! And a book Amy and I both love is The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster, Water for Elephants, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. You look great!
Beth A

Tiffany McCallen said...

What a sweet day! My hubby cooked for me too—Chicken Parmesan. It turned out well. Must have been a banner day for hubbies. :)

Lepus said...

Post the recipe! Or at least a link to it.